On the banks of river Jhelum in northwestern India. A man takes his land stand, as he speaks to an army of valiant soldiers who have fought, bled and traveled with him to the new world. This man in question is the most outstanding leader who ever walked on earth, the great Army General Alexander The Great.
He has led these men from Macedonia (Greece) to the borders of India. Now, he has to inspire them, to find within themself the courage to fight one another ruthless battle.
His speech has been immortalized in songs and paintings and passed on through generations. However, the core lesson we should take from it is how to lead, without being/acting like a boss.
You don’t have to be a boss to be a leader.
The art of leadership without authority is to willingly get others to cooperate and engage in a task. Without the romantic ‘you must do this task this way’ process of micro-management in the workplace. While a boss is more concerned about organizational goals, a leader develops followers. He invests to increase efficiency within his ranks. A leader will educate the followers on why a task needs to be performed. And performed in a particular way. He will sow a seed of curiosity and distribute tasks among them.
Key characteristics of a leader:
1. He listens more than he speaks
2. Strive to inspire this peer
3. Show empathy and genuine care
4. He treats everyone equally
5. Never commands
In the current workplace culture, wherein we communicate online while we work from home or a regular 9-5 Job.
These skills are as valuable as oxygen:.
1. Choose to listen: A good listener allows others to share uninterrupted information. A piece of uninterrupted information contains the apt context, instructions, and solution. These skills become handy while dealing with clients as well as your co-workers. Without interruption, the flow of information travels fast, clear, and freely.
2. Strive to inspire this peer: A colony of ants inspires us to understand the strength of a coordinated team, with each member working at his highest efficiency. Having said that, every member of a team has a complex mathematical equation which can be understood by a simple act of listening. A team player has the advantage to solve these problems and inspire his team. A simple act of talking and sharing responsibility goes a long-long way.
3. Display empathy and care: Showing care and empathy is what makes humans stand out from animals. It creates a bond among team members which increases trust and companionship.
4. Treating everyone equally: No one can bend like Beckham; yes. Yet, that doesn’t mean that Adam from Accounts is worse. Shun favoritism around you and focus on encouraging morals around you.
5. Never announce your commands: Simply because you are not a king or a lord. Hold your ground during confrontations. But be humble while pleading your case. No one likes the smartest man/woman in the room.
This is not the era of bosses; this is the era of the non-boss who leads his team from the front. While inspiring them to willingly take action towards a unified goal.
Are you ready to unleash your leadership potential and stand out in today’s competitive job market? At MindzVerse, we believe that leadership is not just confined to bosses; it’s a quality that can thrive in anyone with the right guidance and skills.
Visit our website to explore our wide range of job-related skills and leadership programs. Together, let’s redefine what it means to be a leader and unleash your full potential in the job market. Don’t settle for ordinary; become extraordinary with mindZverse Education Partner!